Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > > All I'm planning on doing is changing the appropriate shm_* functions iwth
> > > pg_shm_* functions ... if !(libapr), all those pg_shm_* functions will
> > > have in them is the original call we've always used ... there will even be
> > > a --disable-libapr configure option so that if someone already has Apache2
> > > installed, but doesn't wanna use libapr for PgSQL, they don't have to ...
> >
> > > Basically, all I'm looking at is allowing PgSQL to use a different library
> > > for its shared memory calls then the standard one, nothing else ...
> >
> > Oh.  I guess my next question is how closely that Apache library
> > emulates the SysV shmem semantics.  In particular, can you reliably
> > tell how many processes are attached to a shmem block?  (Cf
> > SharedMemoryIsInUse() in storage/ipc/ipc.c)  Without that feature we
> > have an interlock problem.
>
> Will investigate this ... my immediate goal is to just get it so that an
> alternate library can be used ... default behaviour will be to stick with
> our current function calls ... to use libapr, you will/would have to use a
> configure option for it (sorry, meant --enable above, not --disable) ...
>
> The only '#ifdef's I'm planning on for this will be in a central shmem.*
> file(s), so there isn't going to be a string of those all over the place
> or anything stupid like that ...

I think that you should create a verbatim implementation of the SysV shared
memory API in native Win32. It may have to be a pgsysvshm.dll or something like
it, but I think it is the best possible approach.

Let me look at it, I may be able to have something pretty quick.