Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Keener
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On June 5, 2018 12:36:37 PM EDT, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>On 06/05/2018 09:32 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com> writes:
>>> I don't participate too much here, but I've never see a group
>implement
>>> a code of conduct go well.
>>
>> Yeah, personally I'm a bit worried about this too.  The proposed CoC
>> does contain provisions to try to prevent misusing it, but whether
>those
>> are strong enough remains to be seen --- and it'll depend a good deal
>> on the judgment of the committee members.  We have a provision in
>there
>> for periodic review of the CoC, and it'll be important to adjust it
>if
>> we see abuses.
>
>A community that has an exceedingly reasonable and popular CoC is
>Ubuntu:
>
>https://www.ubuntu.com/community/code-of-conduct

We can go back and forth with examples and counter examples of CoC that have been abused. The point is largely that
they'reabused often enough that you felt the need to clarify you've found one that hasn't been.

Complete aside, and probably a CoC violation because it'll upset people. I wish this many people cared about having a
properbug tracker for this project and we spent this much time determining how to do that. My personal experience with
thehackers and bugs lists are that things get lost and end up being incredibly difficult to find or reference. However,
wehave to spend our time being hip and adopting policies that really have no reason to exist as overt and probably even
subtle,but persistent abuse will already be dealt with by moderators in their capacity as moderators.

Jim