Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com>)
List pgsql-general
> On Jun 5, 2018, at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com> writes:
>> I don't participate too much here, but I've never see a group implement
>> a code of conduct go well.

There’s also a lot of evidence to the contrary, where groups have
successfully implemented CoCs as well by extension, the corporate
environment and policies and procedures organizations have put in
place to create safe working environments. To echo a point Peter G. made
upthread, yes, mistakes are made and yes nothing will be perfect, but the
main goal is to ensure that if someone is being harassed by a community
member, they have an appropriate avenue to safely report it and ensure
the CoC committee will review.

> Yeah, personally I'm a bit worried about this too.  The proposed CoC
> does contain provisions to try to prevent misusing it, but whether those
> are strong enough remains to be seen --- and it'll depend a good deal
> on the judgment of the committee members.  We have a provision in there
> for periodic review of the CoC, and it'll be important to adjust it if
> we see abuses.

If you read the reporting guidelines, it is requested that someone filing a
report provides as much evidence as possible, and that is a really
important provision, both for the person reporting and for the committee
to review and adjudicate fairly.

And having the independence and the check-and-balance with the core
committee is also key too, to ensure each report is given a fair, objective
review to the best of the abilities of each committee.

> In general, the PG community has a long track record of mostly civil
> interactions, so I'm optimistic that that will continue.  The CoC should
> only come into play in cases where people are not following community
> norms.  If we were trying to impose a CoC to improve a situation where
> not-so-civil interactions were common, I agree that it likely wouldn't
> work.

+1

Jonathan