Re: Calling function (table_name, schema_name) within event trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Susan Hurst
Subject Re: Calling function (table_name, schema_name) within event trigger
Date
List pgsql-general

On 2015-12-27 13:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@a-kretschmer.de> writes:
>> The problem is, that tg_table_name isn't declared within a event
>> trigger.
>> TG_TAG is defined, it contains the command, for instance CREATE TABLE.
>
> Yeah.  According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-EVENT-TRIGGER
> only TG_TAG and TG_EVENT are defined inside PL/pgSQL event triggers.
>
> So at present, you can only do very coarse event recording using
> PL/pgSQL; if you want to do anything interesting you have to resort
> to writing your event trigger in C.  (And I think that even then,
> 9.4 did not offer very complete facilities for finding out what the
> DDL command had done; 9.5 will provide more info.)
>
>             regards, tom lane

hmmmm...well, Tom, at least you saved me a lot of frustration with
trying to get this to work :-)  For the time being, I'll just follow up
DDL activity with a procedure that compares diffs between
information_schema and the history tables.  If and when pl/pgsql offers
the capture of DDL activity on the fly, I can just move my code to an
event trigger.

Thanks for your help!

Sue

---