calculating time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnson, Shaunn
Subject calculating time
Date
List pgsql-general

Howdy:

Running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on RedHat Linux 7.2.

I am not sure if I have asked this before, but,
how can I get the actual time in this statement:

[snip]

Nested Loop  (cost=0.00..5662254656.82 rows=138 width=199)

[/snip]

The cost is supposed to be the amount of time it may take to
do a query, right?  So what, exactly, is this?  500 hours?
minutes?  CPU time?

How do I convert the cost time into regular human time?  Putting
a date param before and after the statement won't really help me
in this situation as I need to figure out if I should even execute it
to begin with.

Thanks!

-X