Re: Virtual generated columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Virtual generated columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 22.07.24 12:53, jian he wrote:
> another bug?
> drop table gtest12v;
> CREATE TABLE gtest12v (a int PRIMARY KEY, b bigint, c int GENERATED
> ALWAYS AS (b * 2) VIRTUAL);
> insert into gtest12v (a,b) values (11,  22147483647);
> table gtest12v;
>
> insert ok, but select error:
> ERROR:  integer out of range
>
> should insert fail?

I think this is the correct behavior.

There has been a previous discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2e3d5147-16f8-af0f-00ab-4c72cafc896f%402ndquadrant.com

> CREATE TABLE gtest12v (a int PRIMARY KEY, b bigint, c int GENERATED
> ALWAYS AS (b * 2) VIRTUAL);
> CREATE SEQUENCE sequence_testx OWNED BY gtest12v.c;
>
> seems to work. But I am not sure if there are any corner cases that
> make it not work.
> just want to raise this issue.

I don't think this matters.  You can make a sequence owned by any
column, even if that column doesn't have a default that invokes the
sequence.  So nonsensical setups are possible, but they are harmless.