Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Date
Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment  (Jeremy Schneider <schnjere@amazon.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 6/2/20 1:30 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Ron (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> It is possible via 3rd party tools like pg_probackup and pgbackrest.
>> pgbackrest does *not* support PITR recovery of individual databases into
>> *new* database names in the same cluster (so that the end user can have both
>> the current database and an old version at the same time).
> No, nothing does as PG doesn't support it as we have one WAL stream for
> the entire cluster.

Right.  Making WAL files specific to a database should be high on the list
of priorities.

> Generally speaking, I discourage having lots of databases under one PG
> cluster for exactly these kinds of reasons.

It's just two... :)

>    PG's individual clusters are relatively lightweight, after all.

But require a new port, and Enterprises have Processes that must be followed.