Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Date
Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment  (Ravi Krishna <sravikrishna@comcast.net>)
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Ron (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 6/2/20 4:59 AM, Grigory Smolkin wrote:
> >On 6/2/20 11:22 AM, Ron wrote:
> >>The inability to do a point-in-time restoration of a *single* database
> >>in a multi-db cluster is a serious -- and fundamental -- missing feature
> >>(never to be implemented because of the fundamental design).
> >It is possible via 3rd party tools like pg_probackup and pgbackrest.
>
> pgbackrest does *not* support PITR recovery of individual databases into
> *new* database names in the same cluster (so that the end user can have both
> the current database and an old version at the same time).

No, nothing does as PG doesn't support it as we have one WAL stream for
the entire cluster.

Generally speaking, I discourage having lots of databases under one PG
cluster for exactly these kinds of reasons.  PG's individual clusters
are relatively lightweight, after all.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment