Converting column values on a select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Saltsgaver, Scott
Subject Converting column values on a select
Date
List pgsql-sql
I was wondering if it is possible to convert a text value to an integer
value on a select to a table using another table as a conversion.  I looked
into the "create rule" call but can't seem to get it to work.  Of course the
code uses the numerical values for the status but I thought it would be nice
if users who performed queries against that network equipment tables could
see the nice text for the status.

If it is possible to convert the text to a numerical is the reciprocal also
possible so again the code does not have to perform

Here is the status conversion table:

statusValue     statusText     2                   normal     4                   critical     7
major

I then have a table that contains network equipment.

network_equp_id        status         location        contact         20                   normal        2nd floor
  Joe         19                   critical        basement       Fred

Thanks,

Scott Saltsgaver