PATCH: Improve status bar in Edit Data window - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From J.F. Oster
Subject PATCH: Improve status bar in Edit Data window
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hello Dave!

Monday, December 16, 2013, 7:39:52 PM, Dave Page wrote:

>> I'd suggest adding a setting in Options dialogue, say "Default rows
>> limit", defaulting itself to "No limit" to retain current behaviour.
>> Please let me know if it is worth trying to implement this proposal.

DP> Iirc, that's exactly why we added the Top/Last 100 rows feature. The
DP> problem with the modification as you suggest is that we're bound to
DP> end up with confused users that don't realise a limit was set (because
DP> a colleague did it, or they did it and then forgot) who then mail us
DP> asking why they only see 1000 rows. We'd need to make it very clear
DP> that some rows were omitted somehow. If you can figure out a clear,
DP> but non-intrusive way to do that, it might make sense.

1. I suggest to append a well-visible label ("LIMIT") to rows counter in
the status bar if the limit was set and (possibly) worked. Also it
is handy to see if any filter expression was set. For example:

1000 rows LIMIT
1000 rows LIMIT, FILTER
797 rows, FILTER

Will that help distracted users?

2. Here is another useful feature (and most wanted personally by me :) ).
Second part of status bar now shows description for currently selected
column. After playing a while with it's format I ended up with
following (seems most helpful and easily readable):

isLocked, boolean (NOT NULL, DEFAULT)
id, integer (PK)
id, integer (PK, DEFAULT)
name, character varying(80) (NOT NULL): Person's full name

According to docs, pg_catalog.col_description() is available in
PostgreSQL 7.3, hope it wouldn't cause compatibility issues.
I can't figure out if all those labels (LIMIT, DEFAULT etc) are to be
translated, so the usage of _() and wxT() is possibly wrong.

3. And by the way, I want to ask to loosen restriction on minimal size
for Edit Data window. Sometimes a user has to look at just a few
records in several reference tables, but they hardly fit the screen
because of their min height.

--
Best regards,
 J.F.