Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date
Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> It's not so big addition to the gram.y, see a list of commands
>> http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/sql-commands.html.

> I looked at the diff file and the major change in gram.y is the creation
> of a new object type FULLTEXT,

You mean four different object types.  I'm not totally clear on bison's
scaling behavior relative to the number of productions, but I think
there's no question that this patch will impose a measurable distributed
penalty on every single query issued to Postgres by any application,
whether it's heard of tsearch or not.  The percentage overhead would
be a lot lower if the patch were introducing a similar number of entries
into pg_proc.