Re: [BUGS] psql history and "-- lines" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] psql history and "-- lines"
Date
Re: [BUGS] psql history and "-- lines"  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Дилян Палаузов <dpa-postgres@aegee.org> writes:
> I expect that psql and the shell, e.g. bash, behave in the same way in
> regards to history logs and until-the-current-line comments.

I do not think that the shell necessarily provides a gold-plated precedent
for us to follow.  The language syntax it's dealing with is substantially
different from SQL.  Even ignoring that point, there are a lot of shell
implementations with a lot of different interactive behaviors; who's to
say that bash is the one true way?

> +               rl_variable_bind("comment-begin", "--");

Interesting thought, but IIUC that's a setting that would be better left
to the user's ~/.inputrc, or might indeed override something he's put
there.  I'm also dubious how well it works across all the versions of
readline and libedit that are out there.

Perhaps we could document suggested settings for people to put into
~/.inputrc:
$if psqlset comment-begin "-- "... other things?$endif