Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
Date
List pgsql-general
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> writes:
> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [2004-03-04 11:24:11 -0500]:
>> Double quotes are for names (identifiers).  Single quotes are
>> for string literals (constants).

> BTW: is this general SQL syntax or just PostgeSQL ?

This is SQL92 standard behavior.  Relevant extracts from the standard:

         <delimited identifier> ::=

         <character string literal> ::=
              [ <introducer><character set specification> ]

         <double quote> ::= "

         <quote> ::= '

> mysql does no distinction (which is IMHO very unclean),

How can they have no distinction?  Suppose I write

    select 'col' from tab;
    select "col" from tab;

If there is a column tab.col, what am I going to get in each case?

            regards, tom lane