Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> All I'm planning on doing is changing the appropriate shm_* functions iwth
> pg_shm_* functions ... if !(libapr), all those pg_shm_* functions will
> have in them is the original call we've always used ... there will even be
> a --disable-libapr configure option so that if someone already has Apache2
> installed, but doesn't wanna use libapr for PgSQL, they don't have to ...

> Basically, all I'm looking at is allowing PgSQL to use a different library
> for its shared memory calls then the standard one, nothing else ...

Oh.  I guess my next question is how closely that Apache library
emulates the SysV shmem semantics.  In particular, can you reliably
tell how many processes are attached to a shmem block?  (Cf
SharedMemoryIsInUse() in storage/ipc/ipc.c)  Without that feature we
have an interlock problem.