Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/29/2016 12:04 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 2:45 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com
> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/26/16 4:08 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>
>         Splitting of ephemeral data seems to have a benefit, the rest
>         seems more
>         like rather noisy busywork to me.
>

>     People accidentally blowing away pg_clog or pg_xlog is a pretty
>     common occurrence, and I don't think there's all that many tools
>     that reference them. I think it's well worth renaming them.
>

> Pretty sure every single backup tool or script out there is referencing
> pg_xlog. If it's not, then it's broken...

No, not really. Consider a filesytem backup using archiving and base
backups. It doesn't care one lick about pg_xlog. And I guarantee you
that there are tons of people running a backup like that considering the
same script would work all the way back to 8.2 (.1?).

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564