Re: PATCH: Choose best width for Data Output columns of Query tool - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From J.F. Oster
Subject Re: PATCH: Choose best width for Data Output columns of Query tool
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hello Dinesh,

DK> Do
SELECT '1', 'f'; ==>> And then re-size the 1st
SELECT '1', 'f'; ==>> column to the end of the screen.
DK> Then do,
DK> SELECT 'f', '111111......Wide column' ==> This should re-size
DK> the grid as per the query result, which is not happening currently
DK> in my windows machine.
The first column gets same label in both queries
("?column?\nunknown"). The original code behaves identically.

DK> Note: Yours 1st patch is working fine with the above case.
Due to my inadvertence it didn't honour previously saved sizes at all.

Here is another idea:
Do save the sizes only for those columns which were explicitly
resized by the user. Every user's resize results in new (or update to
existing) element in some associative array, whose key is composed of
colIndex and colLabel, and value is user-specified size. Elements
never get deleted out of this array for the life of Query window.
When displaying new result set, each column is inspected, if it's
index and label have corresponding element in array, it's size is
restored. Else it falls under automatic sizing.
Good points here:
0. Automatic sizing works by default for every result set - so is
responsive (unlike last patch!) to changes in query results where
labels don't change - that's a very frequent case.
1. Can save and restore user-specified sizes for columns in several
_different_ queries (run in the same window in arbitary order).
2. Undesired sizing artefacts may appear in rare cases where user has
manually resized the column AND later he got column with same label
and in same position but of positively improper size (your last case
is about it). This still can be overcome by introducing restrictions
on applying saved sizes ("if saved and auto sizes differ more than n
times, discard the saved one / resize to something between / etc").

I'll try to implement this approach soon.
Opinions are welcome!

--
Best regards,
 Vadim