Re: Dumping part (not all) of the data in a database...methods? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Angelo
Subject Re: Dumping part (not all) of the data in a database...methods?
Date
List pgsql-general
What about partitioning the table using bar='criteria' and bar!='criteria' as partitioning condition?

You can then decide to dump only the first subtable, the second or all the data with pg_dump.
I have similar issues and this is the solution I am working on (still not done).

Angelo

On 4/11/07, Andrew Edson < cheighlund@yahoo.com> wrote:
I am aware of this, yes, but the data in question is all (both sets) contained on a single table.  That's why I was looking for a way to do a 'dump where (select foo where bar = 'criteria')' structure.

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/11/07, Andrew Edson wrote:
> I'm needing to do a partial dump on a database. All of the entries in the
> db can be marked as one of two groups, and I've been asked to create a dump
> of just the second group. It is possible to do a select statement based
> dump and just grab the one set of records in the output?

you are aware you can dump a table at a time, right? pg_dump -t foo
dumps table foo. A partial dumping scheme would probably involve
using pg_dump with various flag in combination with a script that
makes a list of things to dump.

merlin

Looking for earth-friendly autos?

Bluemetrix Ltd
Northpoint House
Northpoint Business Park
Mallow Road
Cork
Ireland

Ph: +353 21 4212223
Fax: +353 21 4309131
Web: www.bluemetrix.com

The content of this e-mail may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the named addressee or the intended recipient please do not copy it or forward it to anyone. If you have received this email in error please destroy it and kindly notify the sender. Email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, it is your responsibility to ensure that the message (including attachments) is safe and authorised for use in your environment. Bluemetrix Ltd, Directors : Liam English, John Shannon.

Registered in Ireland at Northpoint House, Northpoint Business Park, Mallow Road, Cork
Co Reg No.: 335879 VAT Reg No. IE6355879K