Re: multiple databases vs multiple clusters on the same host - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: multiple databases vs multiple clusters on the same host
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 Září 2013, 21:30, Eugene Ostrovsky wrote:
> Thanks for the answer!
>
> About you questions:
> 1. Postgres 9.3
> 2. There are about 30-50 user connections. Actually Only 2 of databases
> are used intensively, others only in rare cases.
> 3. Hardware is  AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 Gb RAM, 2 SATA2 HDD in software
> mirror raid
> 4. The reason to switch to multiple clusters is that my software uses
> roles (login users and groups) for a single database. There are some
> problems with it in case of several databases because in postgres roles
> are shared between all the databases in the same cluster.

Wouldn't it be easier just setup unique roles for each database? It's much
better solution than deploying 10 separate clusters (which you'll learn
soon, if you go in this direction).

And what are those "some problems" that you mentioned? Seems to me this
thread started from the wrong end - setting up multiple clusters instead
of tackling the actual problem first.

Tomas