Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment on Mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment on Mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/3/20 3:21 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:
> On the topic of what other databases do better: I much prefer Postgres
> to Mysql because it has better string functions and better as well as
> very courteous error messages. But MySQL has one feature that sometimes
> makes me want to return it: it stores the most important metadata about
> tables in a Mysql table that can be queried as if it were just another
> table.  That is a really feature. I makes it very easy to look for a
> table that you edited most recently, including a lot of other things.

With a lot of caveats:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/show-table-status.html

" Update_time

When the data file was last updated. For some storage engines, this
value is NULL. For example, InnoDB stores multiple tables in its system
tablespace and the data file timestamp does not apply. Even with
file-per-table mode with each InnoDB table in a separate .ibd file,
change buffering can delay the write to the data file, so the file
modification time is different from the time of the last insert, update,
or delete. For MyISAM, the data file timestamp is used; however, on
Windows the timestamp is not updated by updates, so the value is inaccurate.

Update_time displays a timestamp value for the last UPDATE, INSERT, or
DELETE performed on InnoDB tables that are not partitioned. For MVCC,
the timestamp value reflects the COMMIT time, which is considered the
last update time. Timestamps are not persisted when the server is
restarted or when the table is evicted from the InnoDB data dictionary
cache. "

What are the lot of other things?

My guess is they can be found in information_schema.*.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com