Re: Need for speed 3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Need for speed 3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ulrich wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> first I want to say ***THANK YOU*** for everyone who kindly shared
their
> thoughts on my hardware problems. I really appreciate it. I started to
> look for a new server and I am quite sure we'll get a serious hardware
> "update". As suggested by some people I would like now to look closer
at
> possible algorithmic improvements.
>
> My application basically imports Apache log files into a Postgres
> database. Every row in the log file gets imported in one of three (raw
> data) tables. My columns are exactly as in the log file. The import is
> run approx. every five minutes. We import about two million rows a
month.

> Between 30 and 50 users are using the reporting at the same time.
>
> Because reporting became so slow, I did create a reporting table. In
> that table data is aggregated by dropping time (date is preserved),
ip,
> referer, user-agent. And although it breaks normalization some data
from
> a master table is copied, so no joins are needed anymore.
>
> After every import the data from the current day is deleted from the
> reporting table and recalculated from the raw data table.

schemas would be helpful.  You may be able to tweak the import table a
bit and how it moves over to the data tables.

Just a thought: have you considered having apache logs write to a
process that immediately makes insert query(s) to postgresql?

You could write small C program which executes advanced query interface
call to the server.

Merlin