Re: Need for speed 3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ulrich Wisser
Subject Re: Need for speed 3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Merlin,

> schemas would be helpful.

right now I would like to know if my approach to the problem makes
sense. Or if I should rework the whole procedure of import and aggregate.

> Just a thought: have you considered having apache logs write to a
> process that immediately makes insert query(s) to postgresql?

Yes we have considered that, but dismissed the idea very soon. We need
Apache to be as responsive as possible. It's a two server setup with
load balancer and failover. Serving about ones thousand domains and
counting. It needs to be as failsafe as possible and under no
circumstances can any request be lost. (The click counting is core
business and relates directly to our income.)
That said it seemed quite save to let Apache write logfiles. And import
them later. By that a database downtime wouldn't be mission critical.

> You could write small C program which executes advanced query interface
> call to the server.

How would that improve performance?

Ulrich