Re: PQexecParams - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PQexecParams
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >>Will PQexecParams automatically escape bytea data as it goes in, or
must
> >>one run it through PQescapeBytea first?
> >
> > Neither.  The data does not need escaping (assuming you pass it as a
> > parameter, of course.)
>
> Even binary data?  ie. You could upload a binary string straight into
> PQexecParams with no octal conversion?

Well, what it means you do not have to escape data at the protocol level
you don't have to be concerned about formatting the query string.
However the server still may still need to interpret the data for
storage...meaning for the bytea type at least you have to do octal
encoding (at least that's what I do, I'd like nothing better than to be
corrected on this point).

Merlin