Re: Where are we on stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Where are we on stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 1. Executing outside the database engine, and therefore being able to
> start/commit transactions.  (This is *fundamentally* different from
our
> current concept of functions, and I think that any implementation that
> tries to gloss over the difference will be doomed to failure.)

Back in the early days of nested transactions, you could begin/commit
while within a transaction...they could be pushed and popped off of a
stack.

Supposing you could do that once again, would there be any reason why a
SP should be extra-transactional?

Merlin