Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance??? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date
List pgsql-performance
> The problem with this approach is TTFB (Time to first Byte).  The
> initial query is very slow, but additional requests are fast.  In most
> situations we do not want the user to have to wait a disproportionate
> amount of time for the initial query.  If this is the first time using
> the system this will be the impression that will stick with them.  I
> guess we could experiment and see how much extra time creating a cache
> table will take...

Have you read this?
http://jonathangardner.net/PostgreSQL/materialized_views/matviews.html

Don't know your exact situation, but this is always worth considering in
those hard to optimize corner cases.  Moving this stuff into the
application space or 'middleware' is going to be a lot of pain and
aggravation.

Merlin