Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future... - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...
Date
List pgsql-odbc
> There is an ODBC=>JDBC gateway out there (closed-source I believe) but
> don't know of a .Net one.

I think rather the ODBC driver should wrap the libpq library.  The .net
driver has some justification for implementing its own protocol stack
because of marshalling issues; the ODBC has little to gain besides
paying a extra maintenance price which is now being paid in full :-).
There may be some valid reasons why this was done that I'm not aware of,
though.

There are many tangential issues to these projects that make them
difficult...for example internationalization issues that might
discourage the more traditional driver writer.

Merlin