Re: Finding zlib on MinGW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Finding zlib on MinGW
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32

> > Seems I'm just howling at the moon here. However, if the win32
source
> code
> > build is specifically for mingw/msys and zlib installs on msys into
> > directory that isn't looked for by default by the PostgreSQL
configure,
> then
> > I'd expect a lot of "problem" e-mails from users who complain about
zlib
> > during installation. A simple fix (liking adding those directories
> > PostgreSQL configure) could be done to prevent a little headache in
the
> > future.
>
> If zlib was installed as part of mingw automatically, then we should
> look in there by default, but if folks are installing mingw, I think
> they would then know to point to that directory to find it.  If we
> automatically look, we might find other stuff we shouldn't, no?
>
> Let's see if others have this issue and if they do we can add such a
> search path for Win32.

The mingw environment is a little quriky.  It by default drops all user
compiled libraries in /local/lib, where all the standard libs are in
/mingw/lib, where postgresql currently looks.

I find it easier just to configure the libraries like zlib to put their
stuff in the mingw folder.  In lieu of making changes, I'd be happy to
write a compiling guide for win32 users who are unfamiliar with the
win32 environment.

Merlin