Re: a back up question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Mueller
Subject Re: a back up question
Date
Re: a back up question
List pgsql-general

Time is not really a problem for me, if we talk about hours rather than days.  On a roughly comparable machine I’ve made backups of databases less than 10 GB, and it was a matter of minutes.  But I know that there are scale problems. Sometimes programs just hang if the data are beyond some size.  Is that likely in Postgres if you go from ~ 10 GB to ~100 GB?  There isn’t any interdependence among my tables beyond  queries I construct on the fly, because I use the database in a single user environment

From: "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:59 PM
To: Martin Mueller <martinmueller@northwestern.edu>
Cc: "pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org" <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: a back up question

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Martin Mueller <martinmueller@northwestern.edu> wrote:

Are there rules for thumb for deciding when you can dump a whole database and when you’d be better off dumping groups of tables? I have a database that has around 100 tables, some of them quite large, and right now the data directory is well over 100GB. My hunch is that I should divide and conquer, but I don’t have a clear sense of what counts as  “too big” these days. Nor do I have a clear sense of whether the constraints have to do with overall size, the number of tables, or machine memory (my machine has 32GB of memory).

Is 10GB a good practical limit to keep in mind?

​I'd say the rule-of-thumb is if you have to "divide-and-conquer" you should use non-pg_dump based backup solutions.  Too big is usually measured in units of time, not memory.​

Any ability to partition your backups into discrete chunks is going to be very specific to your personal setup.  Restoring such a monster without constraint violations is something I'd be VERY worried about.

David J.