Re: Amazon Linux Support? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeremy Schneider
Subject Re: Amazon Linux Support?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Apr 30, 2019, at 07:16, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/30/19 2:02 AM, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> With the repo changes associated with the April 17 changes,
>> https://pgstef.github.io/2019/04/17/one_rpm_to_rule_them_all.html
>> It is evident that support for amazon linux has been dropped.
>> While you can try to use redhat pgdp packages, they are not
>> installable on Amazon Linux, giving the following error...
>> /etc/redhat-release is needed by pgdg-redhat-repo-42.0-4.noarch
>> I confident that the rest rpms available in the repo can be used by
>> Amazon linux, but the redhat-release dependency is painful for
>> automation with existing recipes such as postgresql in chef.
>> Before I invest the effort to produce a pull request to address this,
>> I wanted to confirm that amazon linux has been dropped and will no
>> longer, nor likely ever be supported for the rpms repo's, or is it
>> still on the road map?
>
> You will need a community account to see the issue:
>
> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/4205
>
> The relevant part:
>
> Updated by Devrim Gündüz 4 days ago
>
> "
> Hi,
>
> We dropped Amazon Linux support years ago, there were lots of compatibility issues. The new repo RPMs just reflect
that.

> Please switch to a supported distro, or rebuild RPMs from SRPMS.
>
> Regards, Devrim

I've been using the rhel6 repo with AL without issue for a long time now.  it looks like they added a new dependency
thatbreaks this, but I recently tested this workaround and it seems to work:
`rpm -Uvh --nodeps
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/testing/11/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat11-11-2.noarch.rpm`

the other thing is that I do is a `s/$releasever/6/g` on `/etc/yum.repos.d/pgdg-*.repo` -- i have this all baked into
someansible scripts and my scripts are working fine just now when i spun up a new ec2/postgres test server

-Jeremy

Sent from my TI-83