Re: Bug with initDB under windows 2003 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Bug with initDB under windows 2003
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I just wanted to inform you all that I solve the issue, it was
> indeed the nul device as James and Martijn mention.
> > I have change the source to redirect the output to a log file, to
> which I gave permission to the "postgres" user.
> > The file (currently) is created at the temp folder.
> > This is critical bug due to the fact that on more and more
> win2003 machines the postgres installation failed to initialize the
> DB.
>
> To be honest, this is the kind of crap that bugs me about Windows.
> It happens all the time that you want to dump the output of a
> program to nowhere. And then they make it so only admins can use
> it? Writing it to a file is a hack, you don't want the output, that
> why you send it to the NUL device.
>
> Have you been able to determine *why* Microsoft made this braindead
> decision? Or where it's documented? Their own knowledgebase is
> filled with examples of using the device, so I imagine they'll have
> to post a workaround somewhere...

AFAIK, nobody has posted any links to information that shows that
Microsoft actually *did* change this. I've searched their KB some
(including the partner-only one for people with the paid agreements,
which contains information about bugs that they don't want to be
public), and find nothing about it.

Unless you can reproduce this on a clean system, I'm definitely inclined
to say this is caused by some other piece of software on the machine -
firewall, antivirus, antispyware or virus/spyware itself.

(To reiterate a point from many other discussions, when it comes to AV,
FW, AS software, it's very often not enough to disable it. And there are
cases when even an uninstall isn't enough, because the vendor believe
they have the right to stick around and tell you now and then to get
their new version etc.)

//Magnus