Re: Bug with initDB under windows 2003 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Bug with initDB under windows 2003
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 06:49:31PM +0000, dror wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I just wanted to inform you all that I solve the issue, it was indeed the nul device as James and Martijn mention.
> I have change the source to redirect the output to a log file, to which I gave permission to the "postgres" user.
> The file (currently) is created at the temp folder.
> This is critical bug due to the fact that on more and more win2003 machines the postgres installation failed to
initializethe DB.

To be honest, this is the kind of crap that bugs me about Windows. It
happens all the time that you want to dump the output of a program to
nowhere. And then they make it so only admins can use it? Writing it to
a file is a hack, you don't want the output, that why you send it to
the NUL device.

Have you been able to determine *why* Microsoft made this braindead
decision? Or where it's documented? Their own knowledgebase is filled
with examples of using the device, so I imagine they'll have to post a
workaround somewhere...

> In any case, I am about to push this fix to be part of the formal postgres source.Is anyone know ,who should I write
toin order to test and checked this fix to the CSV.

Submit a patch to the patches list, where it will be reveiwed by the
relevenet people.

Have a nice day,