Re: src/tools/msvc usage instructions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: src/tools/msvc usage instructions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > That's on my TODO list to write, but I haven't had the
> time yet. The
> > > basic is that if you disable everything in the config.pl
> file, you
> > > can run with almost no external dependencies. You'll need
> flex+bison
> > > if buliding off CVS.
> > > Oh, and it requires Visual C++ 2005. Should work fine with the
> > > Express version.
> >
> > I grabbed flex and bison from GNUwin32
> > (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bison.htm)
>
> This appears to not work out well.  If I copy the generated
> files from bison from a linux box, then they are ok, but if I
> try to use ones generated using that version of bison, it
> does not compile.  I'll look around for a different one.

That's the onw I'm using. However, be sure to get version 1.875-4, and
*not* version 2.1.

> > All right, I started off by commenting out almost all of
> the options
> > in config.pl, and then ran build.bat from my "visual studio 2005
> > command prompt" (the express version).  It said that
> "Pthreads is required".
> > Which pthreads implementation is this, and where can I get it?
> >
> > Also, which zlib build for windows is the correct one?  There are
> > apparently many different ways to build it.
>
> I grabbed the zlib dll from www.zlib.net, and pthreads from
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ and these seem
> to compile.

Those are the ones. Should work fine to use the binaries as well, no
need to compile yourself.

> I ran into an issue where if I tried to compile using the
> batch file it would fail with a bunch of errors about not
> finding windows.h, even when I loaded the environment file
> from the platform sdk.  I had more success opening the
> solution with the gui, but it is not entirely clear which
> projects I may need to build in which order.  I got the
> postgres project to compile, so I guess that's a start.

If you do "build solution" it should build all project sin the correct
order - there are dependency references set between them that should
take care of this automatically.

> Do you have any idea how to get the environment to know where
> windows.h is?  I even explicitly added the directory to the
> INCLUDE environment variable, but it did not work.  I will
> try switching to short paths in there in case it is an issue
> of paths with spaces.

In my environment, that gets set when I start the Visual Studio command
prompt - that's the whole point abou tusing the VS commandprompt and not
a normal one. I think you get a question about integrating the Platform
SDK with Visual studio when you install it - any chance you missed that
one?

> > I already have ActivePerl and ActivePython installed, so
> those should
> > work out.  I am not really concerned about krb5 and ldap,
> so as long
> > as commenting them out will disable them, that is good.

You can safely leave LDAP in, because it uses only the builtin
functionality in the OS and no external dependencies.

//Magnus