Re: pgsql-patches considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pgsql-patches considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I have the additional complaint that this doesn't actually
> solve most
> > of my original complaints and might reduce the pressure to
> find a better solution.
> > The patches announcements themselves would still be basically
> > invisible within the community.
>
> I'm with Greg on this one.  I felt his original complaint
> made alot of sense and this doesn't really deal with it.  I'd
> much rather see -patches go away or maybe become an alias to
> -hackers.  If the patch is too big then perhaps either
> compress it or provide a link to it when it's submitted.  If
> hosting for patches is an issue then perhaps provide a way
> for patches to be hosted on a PG server.  Honestly, I'd be
> happy to put up any PG patches sent to me on a well connected
> server.  I'm not sure how easy it'd be to automate that
> though (and prevent spammers/etc), but perhaps people have
> some suggestions?

There are list servers out there capable of simply ripping any
attachments to a message (possibly over a certain size) and stick it on
a website, replacing it with a link in the email. Is majordomo one of
them?

If that was done, we could just have patches be sent to -hackers, and
get rid of -patches completely.

//Magnus