Re: pg_ctl start leaves dos window open - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_ctl start leaves dos window open
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am running PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows Server 2003. Our setup
> should allow a normal (non-administrator) user to start the
> database. Since the user is not allowed to start services, I
> am trying a direct "pg_ctl start" approach. However, running
> this from a shortcut, leaves a dos window open with the words
> "postmaster starting". After stopping postgres, "logger
> shutting down" appears before the window is closed. I have
> tried to redirect stdout, stderr and stdin to nul, but this
> just makes the window empty, it still does not disappear
> until the database is stopped. Using the -l option of pg_ctl
> also does not help.
>
> Is there a way for this setup to work, without the dos box
> being visable all the time? I use system logging, so I don't
> need the stdout/stderr of pg_ctl.

That's the way it works. If you want it in the background, you need to
use a service. There are a couple of options tom ake it less ugly,
though:

1) Users *can* start and stop services, if you just give them
permissions to do so. This can be done on an individual service basis.
You use the security configuration editor for that.

2) You can start the window minimized, with "start /min pg_ctl .... ...
"

3) You can write your own small program that starts the process with a
hidden window.

//Magnus