pg_ctl start leaves dos window open - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard van den Berg
Subject pg_ctl start leaves dos window open
Date
List pgsql-general

I am running PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows Server 2003. Our setup should allow a normal (non-administrator) user to start the database. Since the user is not allowed to start services, I am trying a direct "pg_ctl start" approach. However, running this from a shortcut, leaves a dos window open with the words "postmaster starting". After stopping postgres, "logger shutting down" appears before the window is closed. I have tried to redirect stdout, stderr and stdin to nul, but this just makes the window empty, it still does not disappear until the database is stopped. Using the -l option of pg_ctl also does not help.

Is there a way for this setup to work, without the dos box being visable all the time? I use system logging, so I don't need the stdout/stderr of pg_ctl.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg, CISSP
Trust Factory B.V. |     www.dna-portal.net
Bazarstraat 44a    |  www.trust-factory.com
2518AK The Hague   |  Phone: +31 70 3620684
The Netherlands    |  Fax  : +31 70 3603009