Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login
Date
List pgsql-general
> Was looking to see if I  could get pgAdmin to log into
> postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows XP using the current windows
> login information.  Tried using the ident functionality on
> pg_hba.conf to no avail.
>
> Can someone post a link to a how to on this subject please?
>
> Also can anyone tell me if there is an active project to
> produce a "monitor" project that can sit in the task bar to
> tell us how many users, cashe hits , start stop / reload etc.

There is no such functionality available. The way to do is to put a
pgpass.conf file in the users directory that specifies a password to
use. See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html.

(Or you can enable trust authentication, but that will let anybody
connect as whatever user they chose, without a password and without any
verification whatsoever)

//Magnus