Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Sydney-Smith
Subject Re: Authenticating using Windows XP login
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Magnus,

I was specifically trying to avoid the "log into everything" approach.
Figured that if the user has logged into the computer that should be
sufficient to establish their identity.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
 cite="mid6BCB9D8A16AC4241919521715F4D8BCE6C78A6@algol.sollentuna.se"
 type="cite">

    Was looking to see if I  could get pgAdmin to log into
postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows XP using the current windows
login information.  Tried using the ident functionality on
pg_hba.conf to no avail.

Can someone post a link to a how to on this subject please?

Also can anyone tell me if there is an active project to
produce a "monitor" project that can sit in the task bar to
tell us how many users, cashe hits , start stop / reload etc.

There is no such functionality available. The way to do is to put a
pgpass.conf file in the users directory that specifies a password to
use. See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html.

(Or you can enable trust authentication, but that will let anybody
connect as whatever user they chose, without a password and without any
verification whatsoever)

//Magnus