Re: sigint psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: sigint psql
Date
Re: sigint psql  (John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> > I'm communicating with psql via a pipe stream. This works
>pretty well,
>> > but one problem I have is trying to cancel an operation.
>If I send a
>> > sigint, psql dies. In looking at the source I gather this
>is because
>> > it assumes I'm in non-interactive mode (pset.notty is true). I was
>> > wondering if there was some way to work around this short of
>> > recompiling the source. I need to do the same thing on Windows.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions,
>>
>> On Unix you could run 'psql' through a pty rather than a pipe.  No
>> idea what the Windows equivalent would be.
>
>We don't have signals on win32 like we have on Unix so we
>simulate them.
>Not sure it is possible to signal psql like you want on Win32.

There is no way so signal *psql*, as in the client side process. The
signal emulation only runs in the server.

You can do the same thing in the server using pg_ctl kill, but that
won't work on client processes.

//Magnus