Re: Where do we need servers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Where do we need servers?
Date
List pgsql-www
> > What sort of bandwidth does it have btw?
>
> 100mb.  Which makes it a good FTP/HTTP mirror.  And bittorrent seeder.

Definitly. Is it single IP only, or multiple IPs if necessary?

> and ...
>
> Magnus, is there any way for us to back up the mailing lists?

I'm sure that should be possible. I've done it in several other cases
;-)

Assuming majordomo2 works the same way majordomo does, it just keeps the
list config and subscription options in plain text files. The way to
handle that is to simply rsync those files over to second machine. Then
you set up a second MX record pointing to the secondary machine *with a
different priority value*. That way mail is only delivered to the
secondary machine if the first fails. Notes on this:

*) You won't get failover for subscription services, only for list
delivery. Not sure if that is a problem.

*) You can get some weirdness with digests in the event of a failover -
digests may be sent from both systems. Shouldn't be a problem during
normal operatinos. Make sure digest files are *not* synced between the
servers, or two copies of all digests will be sent.

*) In order not to affect other mail services, these things are a whole
lot easier to deal with if the lists are in their own domain. Meaning
we'd have pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org instead of directly in
postgresql.org. Not sure if that's interesting? You could always have
the @postgresql.org addresses redirect. If not, then you'd have to have
the seconary machine handle mail for all @postgresql.org addresses and
forward those back as necessary.
How are these things set up now? I see svr1, 2 and 4 all handle mail for
postgresql.org, but do they do anything more than just queue it up until
the primary (svr1) is back up?

*) If it's a problem to sync the files, there are other list managers
that can use postgresql to store their subscription info in. Then you
could use Slony replication. not sure if it pays off thouhg, and
changing list manager is always a lot of work. And AFAIK, they will
still not give you failover on the subscription services, since that
would require multimaster replication.

Something to work off?

//Magnus