Re: determining supported timezones - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: determining supported timezones
Date
Re: determining supported timezones  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
>I am trying to figure out if there is a way to determine the timezones
>supported in postgresql from within the database. If you look at
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/datetime-keywords.html it
>notes that time zone information is system dependent, (I interpret to
>mean that anything I find in /usr/share/zoneinfo on linux should be
>supported, can someone confirm that?)

Yes, that should be it.

> so how can an external app
>determine which timezones are supported given that it could be deployed
>against postgresql databases on different OS's.  My current thinking is
>that there is no way to get a complete list, but perhaps the list of
>known timezones (as listed in the docs) are available?  If it is not,
>will this change in 7.5 now that we have a standard timezone library we
>are using across platforms?

In 7.5, you can check the files in <pgdir>/share/timezone. There is no
function in the backend ATM to show them. I've been thinking of adding
one (as a system view), but didn't get around to it before freeze. (It'd
basically loop over the files in the directory)

//Magnus