Re: order of statements in create function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: order of statements in create function
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:02:51 +0200, Markus Bertheau
<twanger@bluetwanger.de> wrote:
> В Птн, 09.07.2004, в 20:24, Alvaro Herrera пишет:
> > On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:16:14PM +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> >
> > > why does everyone write
> > >
> > > CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS INTEGER AS '
> > > blah blah
> > > ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> > >
> > > I've never seen for example:
> > >
> > > CREATE FUNCTION foo()
> > >     RETURNS INTEGER
> > >     LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
> > >     AS '
> > > blah blah
> > > ';
> > >
> > > Is there a special reason to this? I have a hard time believing that
> > > everyone does it the same way by coincidence.
> >
> > I think previous versions only allowed the language specification at the
> > end.  I got used to putting it before the function text though, so if
> > you are able to read something written by me you'd see that.
> >
> > That was your point, wasn't it?

As an aside, if you look in the book PostgreSQL by Korry Douglas, he
uses examples with the type before body style formatting. It was so
wierd when I looked at it I had to try it myself just to make sure it
worked :-)  If you look in the docs though, they use the "normal"
formatting which is why most people stick to that convention.

Robert Treat