Re: Is "trust" really a good default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Is "trust" really a good default?
Date
Re: Is "trust" really a good default?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
>The only part of this discussion that I'd really be prepared
>to buy into
>is the part about *if* you use -W or --pwfile, then set up pg_hba.conf
>with MD5 as the default auth (because that's probably what the user
>wants anyway).  But otherwise I think we should leave initdb's behavior
>alone.  I do not agree with trying to force people to use passwords.

Ok. Here is a patch that does this. I still think there should be a
warning when trust is set, but I'm clearly not convincing enough about
this.

Might still be worth adding "--ident" as a parameter anyway, but in that
case only to help the distros that need it. Or not, because they already
have a way to deal with it.

//Magnus

Attachment