Threaded Python on BSD ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Juergen Schoenig
Subject Threaded Python on BSD ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
hello all ...

does anybody remember why threaded python is not allowed on some flavors of BSD?
i was surprised to read this in the configure script ...

# threaded python is not supported on bsd's
echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking whether Python is compiled with thread support" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking whether Python is compiled with thread support... $ECHO_C" >&6
pythreads=`${PYTHON} -c "import sys; print int('thread' in sys.builtin_module_names)"`
if test "$pythreads" = "1"; then
  echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: yes" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}yes" >&6
  case $host_os in
  openbsd*|freebsd*)
    { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: threaded Python not supported on this platform" >&5
echo "$as_me: error: threaded Python not supported on this platform" >&2;}
   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

is there an issue with BSD itself or is it just a matter of linking the backend against pthreads?
the problem is that this is a bit of a showstopper for skytools on BSD ...

many thanks,

hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH