Re: Rename max_parallel_degree? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date
Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 23/09/2016 21:10, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Peter Eisentraut
>> On 9/20/16 4:07 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> No, I'm assuming that the classes would be built-in.  A string tag
>>> seems like over-engineering to me, particularly because the postmaster
>>> needs to switch on the tag, and we need to be very careful about the
>>> degree to which the postmaster trusts the contents of shared memory.
>>
>> I'm hoping that we can come up with something that extensions can
>> participate in, without the core having to know ahead of time what those
>> extensions are or how they would be categorized.
>>
>> My vision is something like
>>
>> max_processes = 512  # requires restart
>>
>> process_allowances = 'connection:300 superuser:10 autovacuum:10
>> parallel:30 replication:10 someextension:20 someotherextension:20'
>> # does not require restart
>
> I don't think it's going to be very practical to allow extensions to
> participate in the mechanism because there have to be a finite number
> of slots that is known at the time we create the main shared memory
> segment.
>
> Also, it's really important that we don't add lots more surface area
> for the postmaster to crash and burn.

It seems that there's no objection on Robert's initial proposal, so I'll
try to implement it.

I've already fixed every other issues mentioned upthread, but I'm facing
a problem for this one.  Assuming that the bgworker classes are supposed
to be mutually exclusive, I don't see a simple and clean way to add such
a check in SanityCheckBackgroundWorker().  Am I missing something
obvious, or can someone give me some advice for this?

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org