Re: Numeric 508 datatype - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Numeric 508 datatype
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I just tested from a standalone backend:
>     backend> select pow(10::numeric, 131071) + 1
> and got 4095 zeros and no trailing '1' (wrong), so it isn't psql, it
> must be something in the backend.

If the backend is truncating the result length, I don't see why psql
would decide it needs 12K dashes for the header.  There's something
awfully fishy going on in your machine.

Try something like

regression=# select length((pow(10::numeric, 131071))::text);
 length
--------
 131089
(1 row)

If that gives the right answer then the NUMERIC code is off the hook,
and what you've got is a strange limitation on output column length.

            regards, tom lane