Re: Casting Integer to Boolean in assignment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Casting Integer to Boolean in assignment
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/24/19 3:04 AM, Alexandre GRAIL wrote:
> Hello the list,
>
> Maybe this question has been debated before (I didn't find anything
> helpful) but :
>
> Why the default is to throw an error when casting Integer to Boolean in
> assignment, and accepting it everywhere else ?

The overall reason:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/release-8-3.html

E.24.2.1. General

     Non-character data types are no longer automatically cast to TEXT
(Peter, Tom)

     Previously, if a non-character value was supplied to an operator or
function that requires text input, it was automatically cast to text,
for most (though not all) built-in data types. This no longer happens:
an explicit cast to text is now required for all non-character-string
types. For example, these expressions formerly worked:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com