Re: Feature: temporary materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Karlsson
Subject Re: Feature: temporary materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/14/19 9:13 AM, Mitar wrote:> I just want to make sure if I
understand correctly. But my initial
> proposal/patch is currently waiting first for all patches for the
> refactoring to happen, which are done by amazing Andreas? This sounds
> good to me and I see a lot of progress/work has been done and I am OK
> with waiting. Please ping me explicitly if there will be anything I am
> expected to do at any point in time.
>
> And just to make sure, these current patches are doing just
> refactoring but are not also introducing temporary materialized views
> yet? Or is that also done in patches made by Andreas?

Yeah, your patch is sadly stuck behind the refactoring, and the
refactoring proved to be harder to do than I initially thought. The
different code paths for executing CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW are so
different that it is hard to find a good common interface.

So there is unfortunately little you can do here other than wait for me
or someone else to do the refactoring as I cannot see your patch getting
accepted without keeping the existing restrictions on side effects for
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW.

Andreas