Re: [SQL] Inheritance and DELETE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] Inheritance and DELETE
Date
List pgsql-sql
Enrico.Scholz@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de writes:
> CREATE RULE chg_fsO_on_dir_delete AS ON DELETE
> TO directory
> DO DELETE FROM fsObject* WHERE parent = OLD.fsOid;

> But PostgreSQL is complaining with the message
> 'ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "*"'

Hmm.  It looks like the grammar is set up to require a simple
relation_name, rather than a relation_expr which would accept *,
in DELETE statements.  I think this is a bug --- I know no reason
that DELETE wouldn't work as an inherited operation.  Looks like
the fix will take more than a one-line change, though.

UPDATE doesn't look like it wants to deal with multiple targets
either...
        regards, tom lane