Re: Support for DATETIMEOFFSET - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Karlsson
Subject Re: Support for DATETIMEOFFSET
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/10/20 10:34 AM, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> I've noticed that Postgres doesn't have support for DATETIMEOFFSET (or
> any functional equivalent data type) yet.  Is this on the roadmap to
> implement?  I find it a very useful data type that I use all over the
> place in TSQL databases.

Hi,

I do not think anyone is working on such a type.  And personally I think
such a type is better suite for an extension rather than for core
PostgreSQL. For most applications the timestamptz and date types are
enough to solve everything time related (with some use of the timestamp
type when doing calculations), but there are niche applications where
other temporal types can be very useful, but I personally do not think
those are common enough for inclusion in core PostgreSQL.

I suggest writing an extension with this type and see if there is any
interest in it.

Andreas