Allowed DML on replicas? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject Allowed DML on replicas?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I'm getting ready to build a reporting server, one where long-running queries and backups will be taken from. This new
serverwill be a slave from the master where all changes are done. Some reports are better expressed with extracting a
subsetof the data and leaving it in a table to be reused, until the report set is done.

In my specific case, I have a table with ~30M rows representing Twitter users. When I JOIN this table with the
interactionsI have on hand, it takes a long time, because PostgreSQL ends up doing a full table scan of the personas
table.To make subsequent reporting steps easier, I do the JOIN only once, and write the results to a table.

My question is:

* Can a new schema be created on a replica?
* Will this impact replication in any way?
* If I can't, what would you advise? dump / reload in a separate database without dropping the table, to keep the extra
schemasaround?

Thanks!
François Beausoleil