Re: pg_upgrade segfaults when given an invalid PGSERVICE value - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade segfaults when given an invalid PGSERVICE value
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:30:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think we should either change PQconndefaults to *not* fail in this
>> circumstance, or find a way to return an error message.

> Well, Steve Singer didn't like the idea of ignoring a service lookup
> failure.  What do others think?  We can throw a warning, but there is no
> way to know if the application allows the user to see it.

Short of changing PQconndefaults's API, it seems like the only
reasonable answer is to not fail *in the context of PQconndefaults*.
We could still fail for bad service name in a real connection operation
(where there is an opportunity to return an error message).

While this surely isn't the nicest answer, it doesn't seem totally
unreasonable to me.  A bad service name indeed does not contribute
anything to the set of defaults available.